This year’s Olympics Opening Ceremony in London combines two of my favorite things: sports and movies from the other side of the pond. Directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Slumdog Millionaire, etc.), there’s already a huge buzz about the mind-blowing ending to the spectacle that will take place this Friday.
Without further ado, here are the rules for BBB’s official 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Drinking Game:
- Reference to the Queen or the Royal Family.
- Reference to any of Danny Boyle’s movies.
- When a head of state (past or current) is shown on screen, the first person to shout out the name gets to give that drink to another player. Everybody else, one drink each.
- Reference to shitty weather in England.
- Reference to event security.
- Any time someone is called a “legend,” “national hero” or “sensation.”
- One drink when any of these people are mentioned, double if their likeness is shown on screen:
- Sir Paul McCartney
- Daniel Craig
- Prince William
- Kate Middleton
- David Beckham
- Victoria Beckham
- The Beatles
- The Rolling Stones (or any member of)
- Andy Murray
- Start drinking when the Union Jack is being raised, and don’t stop until it’s full mast.
- An American commentator utters a British colloquialism or stereotyped cultural reference (cheers, chap, fish n’ chips, tea and biscuit, etc.).
- During the parade of athletes, drink when any country has three or less representatives.
- Reference to the non-disclosure agreement that the performers had to sign.
- Two drinks when any of these people/characters are mentioned, double if their likeness is shown on screen:
- Harry Potter
- Any actor/actress/characters that was in Harry Potter
- Mary Poppins
- David Tennant
- Dame Judi Dench
- Ian McKellen
- Peter O’Toole
- Hugh Grant
- Vinnie Jones
- Any mention of Team USA’s uniform being made in China.
- Any reference to either of the World War.
- If Alan Rickman or Anthony Hopkins has any speaking role during the ceremony.
- Liam Neeson is shown on screen. Because we should all fear Liam Neeson.
- If Princess Diana and Kate Middleton are mentioned in the same sentence.
Happy Olympics, lads! And enjoy your pint! (That’s two drinks). Feel free to add your own rules in the comments!
- Eric Wang